Big "D" Roofing gratefully acknowledges Owens Corning for use of
Selecting a roofing contractor can
be a challenging and stressful experience. Unscrupulous roofers can change company names, or buy out another company to
do business under their name. This checklist can reduce your risk.
Does your contractor...
- Have a good reputation? Check for references and call a few of them.
- Have adequate insurance coverage? Protect your home from accidental
- Thoroughly inspect your roof? Including flashing chimney, soil stacks, other
roof penetration, deck, plus attic?
- Provide a written estimate? Including an accurate description of the work to
be performed, plus work that may have to be contracted out?
- Explain the entire roof system? Your roof is a series of components that
work together; you should know all about them.
- Check existing ventilation for proper circulation? Explain the importance of
ventilation? Improper ventilation will damage your shingles and can invalidate your manufacturer's warranty.
- Explain reasons for tearing off versus nailing over the existing roof? Local
codes determine the maximum number of nail-overs.
- Know, explain and comply with local building codes?
- Apply underlayment to the wood deck? Additional waterproofing underlayment
might be needed if ice damming, wind-driven rain, or collected or flowing water might be a problem.
- Apply shingles according to manufacturer's specifications?
- Use proper fastening techniques? Four fasteners for each shingle - six in
high wind areas. Fasteners should penetrate 3/4" into the deck.
- Commit to supervise the job during all phases of work and inspect it
completely when finished?
- Thoroughly clean up your roof and around your house when finished? Remove
all surplus material? Leave your yard in the same shape the contractor found it?
- Clearly explain both the workmanship and manufacturer's warranty? Are
defective shingles replaced for prorated replacement cost, or original cost, with labor additional? You should be very clear
about who to call with a problem.
- Offer any additional warranty coverage? Owens Corning offers a System
Advantagetm Warranty, providing enhanced coverage when a
complete Owens Corning Roofing System is installed.
- Use quality roofing materials? Check warranty plus UL fire and wind
resistance ratings. Choose a name you trust - not all shingles are the same